Tuesday, January 4, 2011

B90 Days - Day 2

Reading: Genesis 17:1-28:22*
Today was more familiar stories as we read deeper into the beginnings of the nation of Israel. The verse that caught my eye today was from the familiar story of Lot and his wife in Genesis 19:26:
"But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt."
This is one of the many stories that we'll read in the coming days that I first heard in Sunday school as a little girl. And as I realized during my first journey through the Bible in 90 Days, I'm amazed at the true story behind some of these and the fact that these were taught to little children. Nonetheless, this verse stood out to me because although God doesn't literally turn us into pillars of salt, can't we become as useless as a pillar of salt if we focus to much on our past instead of looking towards the future?
Lot's wife was content in her world in Sodom - regardless of how corrupt the people around her were - and when she was rushed away by the angels of the Lord as they prepared to destroy the city she couldn't get over her contentment in that place. Ultimately it cost her her life.
While we are in this world, we need to focus on the future that we have in it, not on the things that are in our past. It may be easy to dwell on mistakes we've made, missed opportunities or loves lost but that is not what we are here to do. Instead God wants us to look towards Him, towards the future He has given us and planned for us, one that is so much greater than our past and also much greater than we can imagine - if only we trust him.
Praying for wisdom on this journey...Blessings!

*Note: I want to point out that occasionally I will not follow the reading plan exactly. Today is a perfect example of where the required reading ended three verses before the end of the chapter - I choose to read those extra three verses and finish the story of Jacob's dream at Bethel. This is my choice, so please do what you feel fits you best!





0 comments:

Post a Comment