Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 3

Reading:
1 Samuel 22:1-2, Psalm 57, Psalm 142, 1 Chronicles 12:8-18, 1 Samuel 22:3-23, Psalm 52, 1 Samuel 23:1-19, Psalm 54, 1 Samuel 24:1-27:7, 1 Chronicles 12:1-7, 1 Samuel 28:1-29:11, 1 Chronicles 12:19, Psalm 56, 1 Samuel 30:1-31, 1 Chronicles 12:20-22, 1 Samuel 31:1-13, 1 Chronicles 10:1-14, 1 Chronicles 9:40-44, 2 Samuel 4:4, 2 Samuel 1:1-27
(Reading Plan Days: April 16-19)

Verses that stood out:
Psalm 56:9
My enemies will retreat when I call to you for help. This I know, God is on my side!

One thing I am enjoying about studying the Bible chronologically (other than the Bible I am using is set up specifically for this so I don't have to continually turn pages) is where the Psalms are following the events that inspired David to write them. Today's reading had many Psalms scattered throughout because David used his psalms to speak to the Lord and ask Him for help as his enemies continually tracked his every movement. This particular verse stood out because there are so many times when I feel like I don't know what to do or where to go but I know that God is on my side and I know that he is there when I call for his help - be it something small or something big. That's one of the amazing things about God - he loves to help his children, we just have to ask.

Another thing that struck me today was re-reading the stories where Saul and David's paths crossed. Saul was determined to kill David many times, but God continually delivered David from his hand. David had the opportunity not once, but twice to kill Saul, but spared his life because he knew that Saul was the Lord's appointed one. I doubt we will be in the exact same position as David being able to kill Saul, but we do have opportunities where we can wound people with our words or actions. Since we are all God's chosen ones, can we find it in ourselves to spare them?

Blessings!

0 comments:

Post a Comment